Frederickson Fieldhouse

Designed by R. Duane Conner
1959
Oklahoma City University (UCO) campus

To provide the 3,500-seat structure with unimpeded views of the basketball court, architect R. Duane Conner incorporated a thin-shell, hyperbolic paraboloid roof design that was supported by four exterior columns with no need for obstructing interior columns.  When it was constructed, it was one of the largest examples of a hyperbolic paraboloid roof in the world.  The building served the school for nearly 50 years before being demolished in 2005.

(Vintage photo courtesy of the Oklahoma History Center, demolition photos courtesy of Midwest Wrecking)